• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
newyawker
Platinum Boarder
When the goin gets weird the weird turn pro

TXR/TRI/SW Ticket prices

#230489 1 year, 7 months ago
As I mentioned in another thread, there is a small discontent amongst some heads regarding the price of tickets at these venues. What ye think?

My premature thought is they are quite steep.
'Nothin left to do but smile smile smile'
spring mountain high
Senior Boarder

Re: TXR/TRI/SW Ticket prices

#230491 1 year, 7 months ago
it's basic math...the fewer people you can fit in, the higher you need to charge to cover expenses and make a profit...i doubt they're making a ton of dough on these gigs, but they have to cover a bunch of fixed costs and they have a right to make a living, and you have a right not to buy the ticket

eta: it's kind of lame to complain about prices when they just gave us four free HD gigs...so let me say this:

THANK YOU, BOB, PHIL AND FURTHUR
Last Edit: 1 year, 7 months ago by spring mountain high.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jaredlang
SunshineSue
Platinum Boarder
Life is sweeter for this!

#230492 1 year, 7 months ago
It seems like all ticket prices are crazy expensive these days. I'm skipping more shows because of price than ever before. But if I'm going to pay 3 figures for a ticket, I guess I'd feel better about paying it for a show at a small place like Sweetwater or TXR. I have a hard time arguing with the prices for those limited tickets.
newyawker
Platinum Boarder
When the goin gets weird the weird turn pro

#230503 1 year, 7 months ago
spring mountain high wrote:
it's basic math...the fewer people you can fit in, the higher you need to charge to cover expenses and make a profit...i doubt they're making a ton of dough on these gigs, but they have to cover a bunch of fixed costs and they have a right to make a living, and you have a right not to buy the ticket

eta: it's kind of lame to complain about prices when they just gave us four free HD gigs...so let me say this:

James, we can discuss things as this without you responding with a non sequitur. I am personally not complaining,nor am I lame. Just observing. I would also like to know what fixed costs you speak of. Do you think Phil and Bob went to a bank to get a loan when they have piles of cash? No cmon. Can we just have a discussion without any logical fallacies?
'Nothin left to do but smile smile smile'
23atwell
Platinum Boarder
I love what I love and I want it that way

#230506 1 year, 7 months ago
Im not complaining about the prices because if I have set myself up in life better then I would be able to afford the tickets, but Im shut out if tickets are more than $75, inlesss its one night and its the dec 31. I feel a little left out to be honest but theres nothing I can do. But the bright side is, I have two amazing kids that hold me back from spending that much money, so its way worth it. I am counting down the days though furthur comes back to a venue I know I will go see them at. No, Im not mad at the prices.
And I'm going to sit right here until I die
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bilbo
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#230513 1 year, 7 months ago
i am speaking about TXR, as i hardly go to sweetwater and never been to TRI

the tickets are expensive no doubt about it. my wallet can certainly confirm that. the intimacy is unmatched though. trust me. the only other place i have ever seen intimacy like this was at levon's barn, where tickets were a cool $150 as well.

edit: does anybody remember $25 face value tickets for the barton hall show in 2010??
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
Last Edit: 1 year, 7 months ago by wlewis.
The following user(s) said Thank You: newyawker
spring mountain high
Senior Boarder

#230516 1 year, 7 months ago
newyawker wrote:

James, we can discuss things as this without you responding with a non sequitur. I am personally not complaining,nor am I lame. Just observing. I would also like to know what fixed costs you speak of. Do you think Phil and Bob went to a bank to get a loan when they have piles of cash? No cmon. Can we just have a discussion without any logical fallacies?

that was not directed at you...you started the thread, and i jumped in with my $.02...

logical fallacies? ok lol

fixed costs: each gig costs $X to put on...i assume they pay the band members, sound engineers, lighting crew, and all the other venue employees for each show; the money it costs to open the door to the venue, eg utilities, maintenance, taxes etc.; the cost to buy the venue, the cost to equip it for musical performances (i can assure you top-shelf sound and light equipment is not cheap), and the cost to equip it for food and bar service, business licenses (liquor, food etc) all spread over the life of the building, the costs of goods sold during the performance, eg food, drink, and souvenirs...fixed costs, y'know? hardly a fallacy

ipso facto, when you can only cram a hundred people into the space, you will have to have a higher ticket price in order to cover these fixed costs, assuming of course this is not intended to be philanthropic or non-profit venture on the part of band members and employees

and your prerogative as a consumer is to not buy a ticket should you feel the price too high
ecojaded
Platinum Boarder
"Why don't you arrest me"

#230518 1 year, 7 months ago

your prerogative as a consumer is to not buy a ticket should you feel the price too high

+1
She tries to live by the golden rule.
Said you treat other people right,
Other people probably treat you cool.
The following user(s) said Thank You: amusingdeva
Griff
Expert Boarder
Don't you see........

#230524 1 year, 7 months ago
This is one of those really tough discussions. There is no doubt that 150/300 is a lot of money. But lets put it into perspective of what Americans spend their money on for "entertainment" (quotes only because I personally consider the music to be more then entertainment):

1. Lift ticket at Vail/Aspen - $114 (cheaper if you purchase from alternate sources)
2. Golf at a nice course - $100 - $300 (can always play a lesser course, I usually do)
3. Ticket to a play/musical/opera and other big city Arts event - $??? I dont know but it cant be less then $100
4. Courtside tickets to a Lakers game - Forget about it.........LOL

Point being, it comes with the territory these days. Not arguing that its right (or wrong) just the reality of entertainment (reality TV....LOL).

Wlewis words ring true to me..............you will not find a lot of places you can see them with such intimacy, and my IMHO, that makes it worth going for one night. But I cannot personally justify all 4, even if I could get the tickets which I could not.

Yet that is ultimately what it comes down too, what personally feels right. Thus, no right or wrong answers per se, just what each individual values.
spring mountain high
Senior Boarder

#230526 1 year, 7 months ago
i would love to see a show at each of these places and would save up to do so...having said that it would be a one time, or once in a great while type of event due to the price...even if i could afford to go to every show, there comes a breaking point when it doesn't make sense financially (much like 23atwell with little ones' futures to be concerned about)

i believe that a lot of people feel the same, and in a way that's a good thing for everybody so we all get a shot at a ticket every now and then
Time to create page: 0.27 seconds