• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
amusingdeva
Platinum Boarder
Posts:2232

Re: TXR/TRI/SW Ticket prices

#231088 1 year, 2 months ago
I did pay major dollars for the opening weekend of The Grate Room. And it was well worth it! I’d do it again if the shows were on a weekend that I could get there, even though I also have to pay to travel.

I agree that the intimacy is worth the price. And at TXR, if you go to a show early and hang out in the bar area and talk to people, by the time the show starts it feel s like you are dancing with a group of close friend. And they

It seems to me that the higher ticket price does change the composition of the crowd, for better or worse.
amusingdeva
Platinum Boarder
Posts:2232

Re: TXR/TRI/SW Ticket prices

#231093 1 year, 2 months ago
RowTimmy wrote:
Shows this weekend thurs, friday, and sat are $65 and sundays only $35. Not bad for an intimate venue like TXR. Add in Ive seen Phil play for free 3Xs in the last week. You can have soon real great value music as long as you stay away from the bar or restaurant which can be difficult.


If I was not already going to be gone elsewhere, I would be all over those TXR shows this weekend!! Have a fun time bay area people!
The following user(s) said Thank You: RowTimmy
wlewis
Platinum Boarder
Posts:6472

Re: TXR/TRI/SW Ticket prices

#231103 1 year, 2 months ago
are folks forgetting how much it costs to pay people like warren haynes, jimmy herring, john scofield, etc etc. those guys don't have small paychecks.

just because you can't do a 150 doesn't mean you can't see countless free shows, 25, 35, 65 dollar shows.


it's silly to hear people complain about it. it tends to be folks who simply can't afford it. quit smoking pot for a month, quit buying beer, cook your own cheap food for a month, turn your water heater down.. if you simply re-evaluate your current means of living, you can often find places to cut costs and add money into your "tour fund".

if you're just bitter the price is too high and can afford it, go see a therapist, nobody wants to hear it.
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
The following user(s) said Thank You: gvanman
fourwnds
Senior Boarder
Posts:421

Re: TXR/TRI/SW Ticket prices

#231123 1 year, 2 months ago
I keep reading about intimacy making up for the cost of a ticket. my enjoyment was close to no more or less in the end. but i have decided, with the quality of the music being equal and since i have to travel either way, i much prefer that energy of a larger venue with a greater variety of people getting loose. i.e bill graham is that special place and elicits in me a feeling of what it is im looking for. that said i look forward to those special occasions at smaller venues as well like txr in future. i would like to see somebody special with phil or bobby really heat it up with some incredible improv up close.
The following user(s) said Thank You: newyawker, 23atwell, Iriecycle
newyawker
Platinum Boarder
Posts:1801
When the goin gets weird the weird turn pro

Re: TXR/TRI/SW Ticket prices

#231230 1 year, 2 months ago
wlewis wrote:
are folks forgetting how much it costs to pay people like warren haynes, jimmy herring, john scofield, etc etc. those guys don't have small paychecks.

just because you can't do a 150 doesn't mean you can't see countless free shows, 25, 35, 65 dollar shows.


it's silly to hear people complain about it. it tends to be folks who simply can't afford it. quit smoking pot for a month, quit buying beer, cook your own cheap food for a month, turn your water heater down.. if you simply re-evaluate your current means of living, you can often find places to cut costs and add money into your "tour fund".

if you're just bitter the price is too high and can afford it, go see a therapist, nobody wants to hear it.


Burt, what about those that can afford it yet still find it a tad high in price? Where does one like that fit into your prescription? You may not want to hear it as the FFF barometer of acceptable discussions, but it is a conversation worth having if done with civility. Silly, bitter, complaining are not part of nor parcel of my intent.
'Nothin left to do but smile smile smile'
wlewis
Platinum Boarder
Posts:6472

Re: TXR/TRI/SW Ticket prices

#231308 1 year, 2 months ago
price is too high newyawker, simple solution, DON'T GO or take advantage of the cheaper shows. like i said, 150 shows have musicians that cost serious bucks. i'm not sure what else you want people to tell you. don't you get sick of reading the same responses over and over?

newyawker---curious how many shows you've seen at levons barn, TXR, and sweetwater.
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
newyawker
Platinum Boarder
Posts:1801
When the goin gets weird the weird turn pro

Re: TXR/TRI/SW Ticket prices

#231337 1 year, 2 months ago
wlewis wrote:
price is too high newyawker, simple solution, DON'T GO or take advantage of the cheaper shows. like i said, 150 shows have musicians that cost serious bucks. i'm not sure what else you want people to tell you. don't you get sick of reading the same responses over and over?

newyawker---curious how many shows you've seen at levons barn, TXR, and sweetwater.



What i want you and others to tell me is what price would be too high? If 200 people would go if they were 1000.00 bucks each, would that still be ok? I do not get sick of reading, my wife calls me a rock head for a reason like this. I obviously have not been convinved by your 'simple solution.' How many I have or have not attended is not the point. I am just taking a side on the issue which is not a pure reflection on affordability on my part. This issue is not only reflected in this instance but with other shows. Roger Waters askign 260-900 bucks a seat for his 'Wall Tour.' is also out of bounds.

When would the price be considered too high?
'Nothin left to do but smile smile smile'
wlewis
Platinum Boarder
Posts:6472

Re: TXR/TRI/SW Ticket prices

#231353 1 year, 2 months ago
newyawker wrote:
wlewis wrote:
price is too high newyawker, simple solution, DON'T GO or take advantage of the cheaper shows. like i said, 150 shows have musicians that cost serious bucks. i'm not sure what else you want people to tell you. don't you get sick of reading the same responses over and over?

newyawker---curious how many shows you've seen at levons barn, TXR, and sweetwater.



What i want you and others to tell me is what price would be too high? If 200 people would go if they were 1000.00 bucks each, would that still be ok? I do not get sick of reading, my wife calls me a rock head for a reason like this. I obviously have not been convinved by your 'simple solution.' How many I have or have not attended is not the point. I am just taking a side on the issue which is not a pure reflection on affordability on my part. This issue is not only reflected in this instance but with other shows. Roger Waters askign 260-900 bucks a seat for his 'Wall Tour.' is also out of bounds.

When would the price be considered too high?


dude the price is too high for specific individuals. sometimes it's already too high for me, but if i truly want to be there, i make it happen. there aren't 1,000 dollar tickets. there wont be 1,000 dollar tickets. you are sitting here talking about something it seems you've never experienced yourself, and then giving outrageous hypothetical situations that aren't going to happen.
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
23atwell
Platinum Boarder
Posts:4654
I love what I love and I want it that way

Re: TXR/TRI/SW Ticket prices

#231366 1 year, 2 months ago
I like this thread. Its a good solid debate and nobody is putting each other down. Respecting each other. I like it.
And I'm going to sit right here until I die
The following user(s) said Thank You: newyawker
SunshineSue
Platinum Boarder
Posts:29208
Life is sweeter for this!

Re: TXR/TRI/SW Ticket prices

#231369 1 year, 2 months ago
I don't know why you have to have experienced something yourself to raise a discussion about it. To me, that's just gathering opinions and information. Seems like talking about the price elasticity of tickets is a worthy topic, and is a very different thing than complaining about prices. I don't know, maybe this is a male idea of a "civil" discussion, but it seems to be kind of judgmental and snarky to me.

I don't know what my top ticket price for a small venue Furthur show is, probably in the $200-400 range. It's harder when you have to add in travel expenses and consideration of a partner's interests. For just me, I might even go as high as $500 for a one-time treat. I wouldn't go anywhere near that high for other performers, probably. I know it was pretty easy to say no to both the Who and Roger Waters at $150/ticket even at local venues, so I've already hit a price ceiling there. I just keep buying lottery tickets!
The following user(s) said Thank You: newyawker
Time to create page: 0.53 seconds