• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
strangerinboulder
Platinum Boarder

Re: Venues you'd like Furthur to play

#231323 1 year, 9 months ago
AcidTestGraduate wrote:
I notice a lot of people pick venues closer to home. That's cool, but one of the best things I got out of all this was seeing new places and absorbing a bit of local flavor.

Ski doo mentioned Glastonbury. Now that would be something. Probably THE music festival of music festivals. So renowned they sell their 70,000 or so tickets before they even announce the line up. Only problem it's in remote southwest England.

How about a show in New Orleans? Don't think anyones mentioned that. Not sure if there's a venue large enough (aside from the Super dome). What a fun town it is, just right for this crowd, and they can certainly take care of a bunch of out of towners. And a little love for our southern brethren.

It was mentioned Furthur might not be able to sell enough tickets to play the Gorge. That's hard to say. If enough folks were really determined to go see a show there, then maybe. Problem with this place it's in quite the remote spot. Camping would have to be offered, but I'm not sure it would be such a good place to camp. An awesome place never the less, and would be worth the trek. Covers our northwest folks.

I'd take a show in Telluride over Red Rocks any day having been to RR and only visited Telluride. But Telluride is truly a small slice of heaven. Also, Park City, UT or the Downs of Santa Fe. Mountain region friends covered.

As far as the oft neglected midwest, I'd take the Fox in St. Louis and Detroit. Blossom outside of Cleveland. A show in Grant Park in Chicago would be killer, but apparently the Charter One pavillion was a hit with the heads. Starlight in Kansas City would be the bomb.

As far as the northeast I say Bethel, MSG, Augusta or Portland ME, some Vermont love and wherever else y'all like. City Island in Harrisbug, as mentioned. Hampton while not necessarily northeast has a lot of good vibes. I like to see shows with a large (r) crowds because the party has greater potential with more attendees (under 15,000) However the band has to be able to sell enough tickets to justify wherever they go, so some of my choices are based on wishful thinking, and some on practicality.

Then again, I'd like to be able to see Phil and Bob spend more time at home, if they wish, at Tri/TxR/SW, despite the fact the demand/price so high and capacity so low. At the same time I would hope they'd continue spreading the love to the country at large for as long as possible. And maybe a trip over the pond even.

Oh, remnants of an '83 tour. Park West, RR, + the Downs. One of my favorite stretch of shows. Both music wise, + the scenic views. Not to shabby of shows either.
nycdave
Platinum Boarder

#231327 1 year, 9 months ago
Drpsilocybo askes Have the boys played in new orleans since they got busted there?
Yes
10/18-19/80 and 9/9/82 - Saengar Performing Arts Center, New Orleans, La

Phil & Friends (The Q) also played in New Orleans
5/4/2002 - Morris FX Municipal Auditorium, New Orleans
5/5/2002 - Jazz and Heritage Festival Fairgrounds, New Orleans
The following user(s) said Thank You: drpsilocybo
B-Rad
Gold Boarder

#231331 1 year, 9 months ago
Oh...they should sooooo do the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Fest. I went in the early 90s and there were 12 stages with constant music of so many different influences and it was really cheap (I think it was $28 a day!!!). It is in late April.
bluetrainsugaree
Expert Boarder

#231342 1 year, 9 months ago
nycdave wrote:
Drpsilocybo askes Have the boys played in new orleans since they got busted there?
Yes

The Saenger is a real classy place to play!!

I wish they would play The Fillmore Denver!
Last Edit: 1 year, 9 months ago by bluetrainsugaree.
Denver Man
Platinum Boarder
On the day I was born daddy sat down and cried

#231351 1 year, 9 months ago
bluetrainsugaree wrote:
nycdave wrote:
Yes

Ok this is where I have to put my foot down I am extemely happy if not a bit shocked they chose the Ogden over the Fillmore. The Fillmore is terrible I could list off 10 venues in the area I'd rather see them play at. I know Coloradans will laugh at me and make fun of me for saying this but I wouldn't mind Fiddler's Green (or whatever they call it now). There are killer hotels directly across the street, among other things. Walking from the venue to your hotel is a good thing! Just make sure you don't get stuck on the lawn It is set up a lot like Shoreline but the difference is the lawn is pretty cool at Shoreline ... not so much at Fiddlers.
I went walkin' out last summer
Tryin' to find a breath of air
I went walkin' on the mountain
A friend had told me I'd find you there
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#231360 1 year, 9 months ago
strangerinboulder wrote:
Oh, remnants of an '83 tour. Park West, RR, + the Downs. One of my favorite stretch of shows. Both music wise, + the scenic views. Not to shabby of shows either.

boise or bust
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChefArugula
bluetrainsugaree
Expert Boarder

#231364 1 year, 9 months ago
Denver Man wrote:
bluetrainsugaree wrote:
nycdave wrote:
Yes

Ok this is where I have to put my foot down I am extemely happy if not a bit shocked they chose the Ogden over the Fillmore. The Fillmore is terrible I could list off 10 venues in the area I'd rather see them play at. I know Coloradans will laugh at me and make fun of me for saying this but I wouldn't mind Fiddler's Green (or whatever they call it now). There are killer hotels directly across the street, among other things. Walking from the venue to your hotel is a good thing! Just make sure you don't get stuck on the lawn It is set up a lot like Shoreline but the difference is the lawn is pretty cool at Shoreline ... not so much at Fiddlers.

I'm not surprised, I KNEW you would have something to say about the Fillmore. The Ogden is going to be really cool and special for us that made it in. Now if they would book the Fillmore, all of our friends could go too. I actually like the interior architecture of the old place much better than the 1st Bank, that is my least favorite! Especially with the jail underneath.
AcidTestGraduate
Platinum Boarder

#231372 1 year, 9 months ago
Denver Man wrote:
bluetrainsugaree wrote:
nycdave wrote:
Yes

You'd take the Ogden over Mammoth Gardens? (note: that's a joke for old time Coloradans )
AcidTestGraduate
Platinum Boarder

#231374 1 year, 9 months ago
bluetrainsugaree wrote:
Denver Man wrote:
bluetrainsugaree wrote:
nycdave wrote:
Yes

I'm not surprised, I KNEW you would have something to say about the Fillmore. The Ogden is going to be really cool and special for us that made it in. Now if they would book the Fillmore, all of our friends could go too. I actually like the interior architecture of the old place much better than the 1st Bank, that is my least favorite! Especially with the jail underneath.

I say, unequivocally, that Furthur SHOULD not play any venue with a jail underneath. Talk about yin/yang
Denver Man
Platinum Boarder
On the day I was born daddy sat down and cried

#231381 1 year, 9 months ago
The 1st Bank was built for minor league hockey and maybe basketball so as far as the architecture inside, yeah it's not all fancy like the old school theaters. The hockey thing was a bust but I think for concerts that place is second to none for a 5k person capacity venue. I've heard rumors of this jail but luckily have not seen it live. I'd think you would have to be pretty blantantly stupid to be thrown in there anyway, I've smoked and smoked in there right in front of event staff and have never had any issues, so people must have been getting busted for being stupid. Remember this is Broomfield not Denver or Boulder so the suburban cops are a little less understanding of us hippies if you know what I mean.

The last show I saw in the Mammoth was Pantera and the place literally got destroyed. Seriously, drinking fountains were ripped from the walls and shit like that. When they remodeled it and called it the Fillmore something changed with that place .... believe me, I saw some killer shows in the old Mammoth.
I went walkin' out last summer
Tryin' to find a breath of air
I went walkin' on the mountain
A friend had told me I'd find you there
Time to create page: 0.32 seconds